Tenterden Railway - Pond View Lodge

Go to content

Tenterden Railway

Useful Links
The heart of the present railway containing most of our passenger  facilities, the Colonel Stephens Museum, our Carriage workshop and last  but not least the administrative headquarters of the Charitable Trust  that owns and runs the railway. The Rother Valley Railway extended up  the hill from Rolvenden in 1903 and onwards to Headcorn in 1905  (abandoned in 1954) renaming itself the Kent and East Sussex Railway in  the process.
The station site still shows many signs of this former status as a  through station and chief station of the original railway. The line  still curves up the hill for several hundred yards to provide access to  the yards on both sides of the main line with its passing now, 'run  round' loop. The main building is the second on the site, replacing an  early temporary building that was moved to Headcorn within a year or so  from opening. It is, unusually for a Colonel Stephens building, built of  brick with wood infills and externally is virtually as built. Nearest  the road is the Station office which was the railways operational office  when opened (the administration was undertaken at Tonbridge) and which  is still used by the Stationmaster.
It's also where bookings for the Wealden PullmThe heart of the present railway containing most of our passenger  facilities, the Colonel Stephens Museum, our Carriage workshop and last  but not least the administrative headquarters of the Charitable Trust  that owns and runs the railway. The Rother Valley Railway extended up  the hill from Rolvenden in 1903 anvvThe heart of the present railway containing most of our passenger facilities, the Colonel Stephens Museum, our Carriage workshop and last but not least the administrative headquarters of the Charitable Trust that owns and runs the railway. The Rother Valley Railway extended up the hill from Rolvenden in 1903 and onwards to Headcorn in 1905 (abandoned in 1954) renaming itself the Kent and East Sussex Railway in the process.

The station site still shows many signs of this former status as a through station and chief station of the original railway. The line still curves up the hill for several hundred yards to provide access to the yards on both sides of the main line with its passing now, 'run round' loop. The main building is the second on the site, replacing an early temporary building that was moved to Headcorn within a year or so from opening. It is, unusually for a Colonel Stephens building, built of brick with wood infills and externally is virtually as built. Nearest the road is the Station office which was the railways operational office when opened (the administration was undertaken at Tonbridge) and which is still used by the Stationmaster.
Tenterden Station August 2009It's also where bookings for the Wealden Pullman and other special events such as Thomas and Santa can be made.d onwards to Headcorn in 1905  (abandoned in 1954) renaming itself the Kent and East Sussex Railway in  the process.
The station site still shows many signs of this former status as a  through station and chief station of the original railway. The line  still curves up the hill for several hundred yards to provide access to  the yards on both sides of the main line with its passing now, 'run  round' loop. The main building is the second on the site, replacing an  early temporary building that was moved to Headcorn within a year or so  from opening. It is, unusually for a Colonel Stephens building, built of  brick with wood infills and externally is virtually as built. Nearest  the road is the Station office which was the railways operational office  when opened (the administration was undertaken at Tonbridge) and which  is still used by the Stationmaster.
It's also where bookings for the Wealden Pullman and other special events such as Thomas and Santa can be made.an and other special events such as Thomas and Santa can be made.
Back to content